Today I want to talk nail art. As a trend that’s really taken off this year (I’m not talking about a decent mani, think more along the lines of each nail being a canvas) I’ve really tried exploring what I can do with my own. Unfortunately, due to a rather stupid left hand, I really (and I mean really) struggle to just paint my right, let alone do a Van Gogh on it. BUT, I shall persevere and I’m sure the more I practice the easier it will get. Fingers crossed.
So anyway, I thought I’d make this a little project for the remainder of the year. Try something snazzy every week, or whenever my nails need a do-over and to be able to do that, I’d need some inspiration. So I scoured the far corners of the internet and by that I mean Pinterest and found these beautiful techniques. Some of which I’ll be trying and some I’ll leave to the experts and envy from behind my computer screen.
1. I’m a major geekazoid (yes, I just made that up) so I’m totally in love with these and I’m sure they can’t be too difficult, so definitely one I’ll be trying in the near future. Now, to sniff out some nail varnish pens – I’m like a virtual bloodhound.
2. If this lass actually painted those on, then my hat’s off to her, but I’m pretty sure those are store bought and shall remain that way. No way I’ll even attempt this, but it is SUPER cool for halloween and I may just invest in a stick on like this for the merry event.
3. Again, these must be stickers or falsies, but they are just so adorable. I’m a wordy gal, so I love scrabble and would just about do anything for this, including robbing your nan. Not really. Promise.
4. I don’t even have a clue as to how these were done. Perhaps painted with those metallic bits stuck over or do you get that kind of nail varnish now? Either way, they are pretty and I may attempt something similar. Maybe black with red french tips, or the other way around – just goes to show you don’t need to stick with the traditional white tips.
5. This is just precious. Really cute idea and I’d love to try it, but know it’s probably way too ambitious. So instead, I’ll leave this one to the pros.
6. OH. MY. GOODNESS. I’m a fan of all things nautical, so this is just beyond words. If I can get my hands on some varnish pens, I’m sure I can do this. The anchor may take some practice, but I’m on deck. See what I did there?
7. This is definitely on my to-do list. Even if my attempt fails horrendously, I want to have a go. I’m sure with some manicure stickers, I’ll be able to do something like this. I could even do more manageable patters, but the negative space is just so hippity-hop cool.
8. This is not only beautiful, but totally within my reach! I’ve done something similar to this just yesterday, which I’ll share at the end of the post. This one may very well be the only one I can do right, so take note of it!
9. Squishy Octopussy! This is so creative and it looks bad-ass, but this may be another one of those cheating buy-this-at-the-store-and-tell-people-I-did-it-myself kits. Still, good on you for buying it!
10. With mani strips, a lot of time and a gazillion different varnish colours, I think I may be able to do this one! I’m a huge chevron fan, so I’d be well impressed if I could pull this one off.
11. This is really pretty and will be an easy way to liven any outfit up. I think I may be able to pull this one off. I suspect you paint one colour i.e. blue and then paint the other, i.e. pink and kind of smush it in the middle. That’s my guess, but some googling should show me the way of the varnish.
12. I’m going to be cocky and say I can do this. I may need to buy the heart sticker, but may be able to draw the lines with a nail polish pen thingy. Who knows? I guess I’ll have to give it a go.
Now that I’ve set my ludicrous goals, I’ll allow you a glimpse of the totally basic skills I have. So I painted my nails white, allowed it to dry and then dabbed on some purple eyeshadow. When I put the topcoat over to seal it, it created these cool lines which turned it into fairy dust nails (my friends words, not mine) and ta-da! Quite happy with the result, but would love to hear your thoughts!
I will keep you all posted on my nail progress or regress (whichever it may be) but in the meantime, please share your inspiration with me by posting in the comments below or tweeting me. Chirp, chirp.
Till next time then x